Physiotherapy treatment for jaw pain includes rehabilitative exercises, dry needling, soft tissue massage and specific advice to reduce pain and restore full function of your jaw. We’ll assess your symptoms and determine the cause of your jaw pain, then develop an individualized treatment plan for you.
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ), or the jaw joint as it’s commonly known, is the most used joint in the body. We use it for eating, breathing, speaking and even when laughing and smiling! Resultantly, when things can go wrong like they can with any joint in the body, it can have a huge impact on our daily lives.
Things that might indicate your TMJ is the culprit for your symptoms include:
- Pain in the jaw region or in the ear (TMJ pain can feel like ear pain!)
- Difficulty opening your mouth widely
- Clicking or locking
- Teeth grinding
- Eating difficulties/changes
- History of jaw injury
Common causes of TMD can include (but are not limited to) direct trauma to the face or jaw, increased stress, dental procedures such as removal of wisdom teeth or orthodontic work and teeth grinding. Teeth grinding/clenching, also known as bruxing, can commence as a result a problem with the TMJ as well.
Over a period of years after a traumatic incident or dental work, the affected structures can tighten up, and the brain will attempt to relieve them by moving the jaw back and forth (teeth grinding/clenching).
If you happen to be suffering from any of the above symptoms, you could benefit from seeing one of our experts in the field of TMD.
The TMJ is a specialised area and not all physios have the skills to effectively treat this area. You will be in great hands with our Physio Giancarlo who has extra qualifications in this field.BOOK ONLINE - TMJ PHYSIO CONSULT
What a TMJ Physio session with Giancarlo looks like:
- A detailed history of your issue to determine the exact cause of your jaw pain.
- A thorough assessment of how your jaw moves to determine where the restrictions are and where you pain is coming from.
- The muscles you chew with are a very common cause of jaw related symptoms. Your physio will assess these muscles by feel to see if there is more tension than there should.
- Treatment includes targeted, gentle mobilisation of the affected structures, massage and/or dry needling to affected muscles (this is a very effective treatment for the majority of jaw related issues), home exercises and education about your condition.
- You’ll get a detailed personalised plan that outlines how you can make lasting improvements to your jaw issue.
- Most importantly you will be given the tools to keep your recovery pushing forward outside of the session.
To get fast and effective pain relief and a long term solution to your TMJ problem Book Online with our TMJ Expert Giancarlo. Or call our friendly staff at the clinic on 8490 0777 for more information.BOOK ONLINE - TMJ PHYSIO CONSULT