Sporting superstar or weekend warrior – it’s all the same to us! Join the hundreds of sports people we’ve helped to train harder, play longer, recover faster and perform better.
The Thrive Physio Plus sports physio team has extensive experience working with athletes of all sports and can diagnose, rehabilitate, and empower you to get back into action in the shortest time frame possible.
Importantly, we recognise it’s not just good enough getting you back to sport, you need to stay healthy! We have the knowledge and experience to minimise the risk of re-injury through evidence based rehabilitation strategies.
What does sports physio involve?
Sports physio involves these key components:
Injury evaluation and sports specific rehabilitation
The first step is having a thorough assessment of the injured area to determine an accurate diagnosis. This involves ensuring we understand how the injury occurred, whether it be at a particular point in time or over a longer period. We’ll have a detailed look how you move, your muscle strength, endurance, joint mobility, balance and sports specific movements to ensure we understand what the issue is.
We’ll work with you to create a rehabilitation program specific to you and your injury to ensure you return to 100% and minimise the risk of re-injury. This includes progression to sports specific rehab drills to make sure you’re ready to return at the intensity to you need to. The research shows now that starting rehabilitation early results in a quicker return to activity.
A comprehensive return to sport plan
This is often the missing link between an athletes rehab program and returning to the field. We understand you want to get back on the field asap, and we will assist you in achieve this whilst keeping you injury risk low. We’ll work with you the regain the confidence in your body to return to field by working through sports specific drills and movements in our in-house fully equipped gym.
We will liaise with coaches and team management people as appropriate to ensure appropriate advice is given at just the right time, and that a consistent approach to your management is given across all stakeholders (only if you’d like us to do this of course – we find it helps and coaches appreciate it!)
The biggest risk factor for sports injury is previous injury in that region! To ensure you minimise the risk of re-injury, we’ll put you through your paces to identify areas of potential weakness, stiffness, lack of endurance or power and tailor a program to specifically address any deficits you might have.
We have the latest equipment in-house to ensure you have confidence that you are doing all you can to avoid injury when you take to the field.
Want to be stronger, more agile, more powerful or run longer? We’ve got you covered. We understand what is needed to improve your physical ability and have all the necessary equipment to do so effectively. Our small group exercise sessions are a great way to give you the support and direction you need to start improving sporting performance.
What to expect in your sports physio consult
Our initial consultations are longer than most, 60 minutes, which allows time for a detailed assessment, rehab plan and answers to all questions you might have including:
– What is wrong
– A timeframe for recovery and return to activity
– How can you help your progress at home yourself
– How to modify activity to keep moving
– How long will it take to get better
– What you can do to prevent it happening again
– How you can reduce your injury risk moving forward
- Detailed assessment – We’ll look closely at how you move in our fully equipped gym and ensure we go deep to give you the confidence that nothing has been missed. This involves a combination of functional movements like squatting, lunging and hopping; joint mobility and muscle strength testing using the latest equipment and a sports specific movement screening.
- Pain relief and protection of the injured area as required in the early stages. Techniques including joint mobilisation, taping, soft tissue release and dry needling may also be utilised where appropriate.
- A personalised plan for you to take home which outlines a diagnosis, main findings from the assessment, things you should avoid or alter, things that will help you, short and long term goals and the recommended treatment plan for getting back to 100% in the shortest time frame possible.
- Commencement of a rehabilitation program to ensure you return to 100% and minimise the risk of re-injury. This includes targeted muscle strengthening, power and agility exercises and progression to sports specific rehab drills to make sure you’re ready to return at the intensity to you need to. The research shows now that starting rehabilitation early results in a quicker return to activity.
- Ongoing advice and education from your sports physio to ensure you keep on top of niggles so you spend less time on the sidelines and more time in the action. Our Physio’s are acutely aware of the signs that an athlete may be at risk of re-injury including fatigue, reduced muscle flexibility and strength. We will work closely with coaches and trainers to ensure that the appropriate program and advice is given at just the right time.
- A genuine care and interest in your issue or goal, with an outcome based approach to get you there. We love to help, it’s as simple as that.
Our Sports Physio Stef working with the state touch football team
Common sporting disciplines we treat
- Aussie Rules Football (AFL)
- Weightlifting/Gym activities
- Jogging/Running/ Athletics
With the guidance of the experienced Thrive Physio Plus team, we will make sure you can run, cut, hop, jump, kick, throw, lift and do everything you require to get back to the sport or exercise you love.
Book online here to take your game to the next level or call our friendly staff at the clinic on 8490 0777.
View this post on Instagram
➕Meet Jacob – putting in the work on his college break 🏀➕⠀ ⠀ 🙌🏻 Meet Jacob, who's back in Adelaide from Quinnipiac University in America whilst on college break. Jacob's been putting in the work the last couple of weeks with us to ensure he returns to the court later this year as the best version of himself. ✅⠀ ⠀ 🤨We know strength can decline in as little as 2 weeks. As such, athletes such as Jacob can't afford to have too much down time. ⠀ ⠀ 😍Check out some of the exercises Jacob completed this morning. His focus? Sport-specific strength, power and agility. ⠀ ⠀ ☺️We're pumped to help @jacobrigoni better himself physically over the next month or two, and to see him take to the court on the other side of his break home in Aus. ⠀ ⠀ 💯Want to make sure you're ticking every box to be the best physical version of yourself? Don't hesitate to reach out.
US College basketball athlete Jacob being put through his paces in our in-house rehab facility