Treating runners is a passion of ours. Since opening our doors we’ve helped hundreds of Adelaide runners run further, for longer and without injury or pain holding them back. We’re also highly involved with the running community of Adelaide, and have passionate runners among our team.
How can Physio help me as a runner?
- We can help you run pain free: Through a thorough assessment to gain the information we need around training volume, changes or spikes in speed or incline we’ll be sure to get to the root cause of why you’re injured or running with pain in the first place. This will allow us to ascertain what might need to be modified or altered in the short term, whilst also allowing us to know what we need to get you back to!
FUN FACT: One study completed on this topic put runners on a resistance-training program for 10 weeks three times per week. As we’d expect, results showed that leg strength improved by 30 percent, but more importantly, running time improved by 13 percent!
2. We can help you get strong to run. This helps to prevent injuries by strengthening muscles, bones and tissues and has also been shown to help running performance including time to fatigue.
3. We can help you train through injury if you’re in the midst of event training and can’t modify your schedule. We understand it’s not everyone’s goal to run pain free.Some people simply want to make it to the start line, and then get to the finish line! We’ll make sure you’re listened to in your first visit so we can help you reach your goal.
4. We can give you the knowledge, insight and education required to become the best runner you can be. Through video analysis, programming and exercise analysis, we’ll help you run better, faster, longer and with reduced injury risk.
What to expect in your running Physio consultations:
- We listen! Been told to just stop running before? We’ll take into account what YOU want in our plan to get the results you desire. If this means no amendment to your running program, or the want to get painfree as quick as possible, we have the answer.
- A chat about your running load: What are you putting your body through currently – how much, how far, how quick, what terrain, how often. These are all important factors in PROPERLY treating running related conditions. Where possible, we’ll aim to keep you running as you like. Sometimes for best results however, there needs to be a small period where your running loads are modified.
- Implementation/progression of a strength program. Strength training helps runners run pain free.
- A running assessment: Although lower on the priority list for runners, in conditions of the hip, knee and foot in particular sometimes there’s a few easy tweaks we can make to your technique that allow you to continue to run with less pain.
Whether a run around the oval, the City to Bay, a full marathon or an Ultra Event, we are your Adelaide Physiotherapy running team.
Also check out our TOP 3 strength exercises for runners!
View this post on Instagram
➕ Keen runner? 3 exercises you need to be doing!➕ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 🏃 We know through research that if you’re a runner and not strength training, you’re missing out on a heap of amazing benefits. This includes reduced injury risk, improved running economy and time to exhaustion just to name a few! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 🚀Get in the gym and give these 3 exercises a go. Start with 4 sets of 12 reps, adding weight as your strength and technique improves, lowering your rep range to between 6-8. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 🙌🏻 Tag a friend who wants to run faster and as always comment or DM us with any questions.
Get in contact to kickstart your running rehabilitation or improve performance today. Book online here.